Arriving in Egypt (1460 B.C.E)

   
 
I have finally arrived in Egypt! It took me a while, but my trek was finally over. The year is 1460 B.C.E and  I'm excited to take in what Egypt has to offer. My first order of business was to familiarize myself with the culture of Egyptian civilization, as I feel that it's important to understand the happenings that may occur.


     I asked a local how they view the afterlife, and their response was very interesting. The Egyptian people have a burial practice called "Mummification" in which they take out a corpse's guts, dry it, bandage it, then put it into a tomb. They do this with their pharaohs and it's so that they may go to the afterlife and that their physical body achieves immortality. It was very interesting to learn.

    I wanted to see where the Egyptian people buried their dead. The local told me to go see the pyramids. I've never seen anything like this. In fact, I was shocked at how they even built it. The pyramids were these triangular monuments that stood up to the sky. According to the locals, the most revered deceased members of Egypt are buried in the tombs underneath and the pyramids are there to commemorate them. It was truly a sight to behold.


    The Egyptians also had an interesting material known as papyrus. Papyrus was a plant cultivated near their river, the Nile, and was used to create rope, sails, and paper. It's one of their major exports and helped to spread the culture of Egypt. Truly fascinating. 


    Although the culture had me interested, I needed to accomplish my goal, to document the events of Egypt while I'm here. I asked a local historian about their past, and he told me that they broke free from the rule of the Hyskos (which are foreign rules) which started the New Kingdom Period. The current ruler right now is Hatshepsut. What shocked me to learn was that Hatshepsut is female! Apparently, she is the second female Pharoah in Egypt's history and has great prominence in the region. I wanted to learn more about Hatshepsut so right now I'm seeking out those close to her and information regarding her so that I may report my findings. I hope to learn more about this fascinating individual. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hatshepsut (1460 B.C.E)

The Battle of Kadesh (1274 BCE)